What's in a face?
We chat about the complex ways we perceive faces, how it can go wrong, and how this system plays a crucial role in how you gravitate towards one political candidate over another. Can we predict your political party based purely on the way you perceive faces? Can you predict a company's profitability based on the face of its CEO alone?
1. Rossion B. Understanding face perception by means of human electrophysiology. Trends Cogn Sci. 2014 Jun;18(6):310-8. doi: 10.1016/j.tics.2014.02.013. Epub 2014 Apr 1. Review. PubMed PMID: 24703600.
2. Rossion B. Understanding face perception by means of prosopagnosia and neuroimaging. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2014 Jun 1;6:258-307. Review. PubMed PMID: 24896206.
3. Todorov A, Mandisodza AN, Goren A, Hall CC. Inferences of competence from faces predict election outcomes. Science. 2005 Jun 10;308(5728):1623-6. PubMed PMID: 15947187.
4. Rule NO, Ambady N. The face of success: inferences from chief executive officers' appearance predict company profits. Psychol Sci. 2008 Feb;19(2):109-11. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9280.2008.02054.x. PubMed PMID: 18271856.
5. Rule NO, Ambady N, Adams RB Jr, Ozono H, Nakashima S, Yoshikawa S, Watabe M. Polling the face: prediction and consensus across cultures. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2010 Jan;98(1):1-15. doi: 10.1037/a0017673. PubMed PMID: 20053027.
6. Rule NO, Ambady N. Democrats and republicans can be differentiated from their faces. PLoS One. 2010 Jan 18;5(1):e8733. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0008733. PubMed PMID: 20090906; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2807452.
7. Hu SF, Chang CK, Chen YC, Chien SH. Taiwanese Political Parties can be Categorized by Face, by Those Who Reported Making Face-To-Trait Inferences. Front Psychol. 2016 Jan 11;6:1931. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01931. eCollection 2015. PubMed PMID: 26793130; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4707650.