Bo and I discuss Neuralink, the latest announced venture by Elon Musk, the founder of Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity, and PayPal. This is the first part, which focuses on some of what they've announced through Tim Urban's Wait but Why post, some of the possible implications of this type of a technology, what it might be like to live with this type of a technology, some of the potential problems with how this technology has been described so far, and some critiques of the claims that are made.
1. 2017 Urban, Tim. Neuralink and the Brain's Magical Future. Wait but Why. April, 2017. Web. Accessed April 2017. http://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html.
2. 2013 Frey, Osborne. The Future of Employment: How susceptible are jobs to computerisation? Oxford Martin School. http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf
3. 2017 Park, Kong, Zhou, Cui. Large-field-of-view imaging by Multi-Pupil Adaptive Optics. Abstract, https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2017/Q2/brain-imaging-system-uses-multi-pupil-prism-arrays.html
4. Waltz, Emily. “Sparking Memories With Electrical Stimulation.” IEEE Spectrum. April, 2017. Web. Accessed April, 2017. http://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/biomedical/devices/sparking-memories-with-electrical-stimulation
5. Strickland, Eliza. “Facebook Announces “Typing-by-brain” Project.” IEEE Spectrum. April, 2017. Web. Accessed April, 2017. http://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/biomedical/bionics/facebook-announces-typing-by-brain-project
6. Strickland, Eliza. “5 Neuroscience Experts Weigh in on Elon Musk's Mysterious "Neural Lace" Company.” IEEE Spectrum. April, 2017. Web. Accessed April, 2017. http://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/biomedical/devices/5-neuroscience-experts-weigh-in-on-elon-musks-mysterious-neural-lace-company
7. Regalado, Antonio. “With Neuralink, Elon Musk Promises Human-to-Human Telepathy. Don’t Believe It.” MIT Technology Review. April, 2017. Web. Accessed April, 2017. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/604254/with-neuralink-elon-musk-promises-human-to-human-telepathy-dont-believe-it/
8. Regalado, Antonio. “The Entrepreneur with the $100 Million Plan to Link Brains to Computers.” MIT Technology Review. March, 2017. Web. Accessed April 2017. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603771/the-entrepreneur-with-the-100-million-plan-to-link-brains-to-computers/
9. Park JH, Kong L, Zhou Y, Cui M. Large-field-of-view imaging by multi-pupil adaptive optics. Nat Methods. 2017 Jun;14(6):581-583. doi: 10.1038/nmeth.4290. Epub 2017 May 8. PubMed PMID: 28481364.
10. Gratton G, Chiarelli AM, Fabiani M. From brain to blood vessels and back: a noninvasive optical imaging approach. Neurophotonics. 2017 Jul;4(3):031208. doi: 10.1117/1.NPh.4.3.031208. Epub 2017 Apr 7. Review. PubMed PMID: 28413807; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5384652.
11. Gautam V, Naureen S, Shahid N, Gao Q, Wang Y, Nisbet D, Jagadish C, Daria VR. Engineering Highly Interconnected Neuronal Networks on Nanowire Scaffolds. Nano Lett. 2017 May 4. doi: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.6b05288. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28437614.
12. Seo D, Neely RM, Shen K, Singhal U, Alon E, Rabaey JM, Carmena JM, Maharbiz MM. Wireless Recording in the Peripheral Nervous System with Ultrasonic Neural Dust. Neuron. 2016 Aug 3;91(3):529-39. doi: 10.1016/j.neuron.2016.06.034. PubMed PMID: 27497221.
13. Fadel TR, Farrell DF, Friedersdorf LE, Griep MH, Hoover MD, Meador MA, Meyyappan M. Toward the Responsible Development and Commercialization of Sensor Nanotechnologies. ACS Sens. 2016;1(3):207-216. doi: 10.1021/acssensors.5b00279. Epub 2016 Feb 25. PubMed PMID: 28261665; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5332131.
14. Liu J, Fu TM, Cheng Z, Hong G, Zhou T, Jin L, Duvvuri M, Jiang Z, Kruskal P, Xie C, Suo Z, Fang Y, Lieber CM. Syringe-injectable electronics. Nat Nanotechnol. 2015 Jul;10(7):629-36. doi: 10.1038/nnano.2015.115. Epub 2015 Jun 8. PubMed PMID: 26053995; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4591029.
15. Rutkin, Aviva Hope. “Report suggests nearly half of U.S. Jobs are Vulnerable to Computerization.” MIT Technology Review. September, 2013. Web. Accessed April 2017. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/519241/report-suggests-nearly-half-of-us-jobs-are-vulnerable-to-computerization/